Installing pressbooks

I have downloaded pressbook plugin from here https://github.com/pressbooks/pressbooks and installed in Multisite and I get the following error

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Pressbooks dependencies are missing. Please make sure that your project’s Composer autoload file is being required, or use the latest release instead.

Help appreciated to solve this

Hi John, you need to install the package, not the source code.

If you navigate to https://github.com/pressbooks/pressbooks/releases/latest/ you’ll see three items under the Assets heading. You need to download the first one, pressbooks-5.0.0.zip, not either of the source code files. Each release of Pressbooks has a release package which includes the necessary dependencies like this one, and this will resolve the problem.

Hello Ned,

Thank you very much for your guidance…the plugin and the theme installed perfectly…

Now I have an another issue cropping up…could you help it…

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 343

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 345

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 291

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 293

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 343

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 345

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 291

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home/u350819964/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 293

Hi John,

Looks like you are trying to run Pressbooks on a shared hosting environment. This will likely not work, as many of the dependencies can’t be installed in shared hosting environments:

• KindleGen for creating Amazon Kindle files
  • xmllint for validating/sanitizing (X)HTML output
  • Java JDK and EpubCheck for validating EPUB files

Unfortunately there’s not much we can do about this.

Hello Ned,

I will test it in a dedicated environment.

Appreciate your help…

You’re most welcome. Detailed instructions for installing dependencies are available at https://docs.pressbooks.org/installation/

Hi, I am having trouble installing the pressbook-book theme. I can upload the zip file, but my can’t unzip it, I get this error: Invalid backend response. Error ocurred on server side. HTTP error 504. Please advise.

I think the error might be with the server, you should talk to your server administrator. You can also upload the theme files through FTP.

1 Like