Get the following warning when submitting ebook at amazon...what could be the fix

“Error – these errors will block the book from ingestion.”
“Warning – these warnings may block the book from ingestion so we recommend fixing”
“ET Errors – these errors will cause the book to not have Enhanced typesetting enabled.”
“ET Warnings – these warnings are caused when we ignore a style or construct which is not supported in Enhanced typesetting.”
“Type”,“Description”,“Source File”,“Line Number”,“Recommended Fix”
“Warning”,“W14028: Following file does not exist : assets/Lora-BoldItalic.ttf”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W14028: Following file does not exist : assets/Lora-Italic.ttf”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W14028: Following file does not exist : assets/CormorantGaramond-Bold.ttf”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W14028: Following file does not exist : assets/CormorantGaramond-BoldItalic.ttf”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28002: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Please do not use: ‘counter-reset’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28002: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Please do not use: ‘counter-increment’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘max-width’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘overflow-x’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-gap’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-count’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-fill’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""
“Warning”,“W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-span’ in file: OEBPS/mcluhan.css”,"","",""

Hi @johnpeterm it looks like you just have some warnings. Reading through them, some appear to be telling you that you’re missing some of the font-families declared in your CSS (Lora, CormorantGaramond), and others are letting you know that the .mobi file is declaring some CSS style properties that aren’t supported by Kindle readers.

Thank you. @SteelWagstaff

Hello @SteelWagstaff, I have the same warnings - CSS style properties not supported by Kindle readers. w28001. I have not altered any of the CSS coding, reformatted my word doc to Normal and Heading 1 before importing, and am not using any tables. How do I find where the problem is likely to be, and given I am not a coder, can I fix this?

Hi @johanjohan, it’s impossible to give you reliable advice without seeing the specific warning(s) that you’re receiving. Can paste the output of your errors and the contents of your diagnostics page from Pressbooks (available from the footer of your book admin dashboard)?

Yes, here it is @SteelWagstaff copy pasted below:
Error – these errors will block the book from ingestion.
Warning – these warnings may block the book from ingestion so we recommend fixing
ET Errors – these errors will cause the book to not have Enhanced typesetting enabled.
ET Warnings – these warnings are caused when we ignore a style or construct which is not supported in Enhanced typesetting.
Type Description Source File Line Number Recommended Fix
Warning W28004: Absolute value specified for CSS property in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Please use % or refer Kindle Publishing Guidelines about usage of property: ‘line-height’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css
Warning W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘max-width’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css
Warning W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘overflow-x’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css
Warning W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-gap’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css
Warning W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-count’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css
Warning W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: ‘column-fill’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css
Warning W28003: Value specified for CSS property in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Please refer Kindle Publishing Guidelines about usage of property: ‘position: relative’ in file: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\249ca764-ebbd-45f8-b758-60d46c289220\cTemp\mTemp\mbp_7E4_A_5_F_8_1C_399_324C_2FB0_1\OEBPS\atwood.css

@johanjohan those all look like ‘warnings’, which “are caused when we ignore a style or construct which is not supported in Enhanced typesetting” but should not have major consequences on the book’s ingestion/availability. It looks to me like the book or theme (Atwood) has some CSS rules that Kindle/MOBI does not support, so it just removes/ignores them. Many are related to column properties. You’ll want to take a look at the book preview, but hopefully the book still looks readable and as expected even without those specific unsupported properties.

Thank you @SteelWagstaff. I will rely on the previews and Kindle previewer then and assume it will not derail the loading to Amazon. Thank you again. Very helpful

1 Like