When exporting as PDF Footnotes are sometimes incorrect

When exporting as PDF footnotes are sometimes incorrect including duplication, missing numbers etc. When viewing the book online the footnotes are correct.

There are no errors during the export.

That sounds unexpected. Afraid that folks here won’t likely be able to help you much without more details (screenshots, contents of your ‘diagnostics’ page, examples of the HTML source or URLs where we can see what you’re describing).

The book is currently private but but I can share a page of the pdf and the html that generated the page. I suspect content is causing the issue but I’m wondering if others have experienced this. I believe the users creating the book have only used the visual editor and not edited the raw HTML.

Below is the HTML:

<div id="navbar-top" class="navbar">
    <h1 class="navbar-part left"><span style="font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:        1.3rem; font-weight: bold;">Family Business: An Overview</span></h1>
    </div>
    <div id="book-content">
    <div class="textbox learning-objectives">
    <h3 itemprop="educationalUse">Learning Objectives</h3>
    <ol id="cadden_1.0-ch03_s01_l01" class="orderedlist">
 	<li>Explain what a family business is.</li>
 	<li>Understand the role that family businesses play in the US economy.</li>
 	<li>Explain the advantages and disadvantages of family businesses.</li>
    </ol>
    </div>
    <p id="cadden_1.0-ch03_s01_p04" class="para">“Family businesses are different.”<span class="footnote" id="cadden_1.0-fn03_001">[footnote]BDO 2009 Report: “Focusing on Business   Families,” BDO, November 2009, accessed October 8, 2011, static.staging.bdo.defacto-cms.com/assets. /documents/2010/04/Focusing_on _business_families.pdf.[/footnote]</span></p>
    <p id="cadden_1.0-ch03_s01_p01" class="para editable block no-indent">.There is no agreed-on definition of a family business. The percentage of ownership, the strategic control, the involvement of multiple generations, and the intention for the business to remain in the family are among the many criteria that experts use to distinguish family businesses from other types of businesses<span class="footnote" id="cadden_1.0-fn03_002">. [footnote]Joseph H. Astrachan and Melissa Carey Shanker, “Family business’s Contribution to the U.S. Economy: A Closer Look,” Family Business Review 16, no. 3 (2003): 211–19.[/footnote] </span>For the purposes of this chapter, however, a <span class="margin_term"><a class="glossterm"><em><strong>[pb_glossary id="643"]family business[/pb_glossary]</strong></em> </a></span>is defined as a business that is actively owned and/or managed by more than one member of the same family.[footnote]“Family Businesses,” Entrepreneur, 2010, accessed October 8, 2011, www.entrepreneur.com/encyclopedia/term/82060.html.[/footnote] A family business can also be defined as the result of someone’s dream:
</p>

Can you try posting the HTLM after three of these ``` ? see:

More explicitly:

``` <a href="https://sample.com">some link</a>
<p>More stuff that will format OK</p>
<blockquote>See it is readable</blockquote>```

Thanks for the tip, I’ve updated the original post.

I was able to export the footnotes as expected to a PDF after removing the additional <span> wrapper elements surrounding the footnotes. I’m guessing these might have been legacies of a copy/paste operation by the original author? In any case if you strip them out/remove them, I think that’ll fix the strange numbering/reset problems in the PDF export.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Sample HTML:  <p id="cadden_1.0-ch03_s01_p01" class="para editable block no-indent">There is no agreed-on definition of a family business. The percentage of ownership, the strategic control, the involvement of multiple generations, and the intention for the business to remain in the family are among the many criteria that experts use to distinguish family businesses from other types of businesses.[footnote]Joseph H. Astrachan and Melissa Carey Shanker, “Family business’s Contribution to the U.S. Economy: A Closer Look,” Family Business Review 16, no. 3 (2003): 211–19.[/footnote] For the purposes of this chapter, however, a [pb_glossary id="643"]family business[/pb_glossary] is defined as a business that is actively owned and/or managed by more than one member of the same family.[footnote]“Family Businesses,” Entrepreneur, 2010, accessed October 8, 2011, www.entrepreneur.com/encyclopedia/term/82060.html.[/footnote] A family business can also be defined as the result of someone’s dream:
</p>

Thanks, that’s good to know. I thought the tags were being created by Wordpress, or Pressbooks or the theme. I’ll advise that they’ll have to remove the existing spans and also be aware when they copy paste.

Thanks again.

No problem. This guide chapter may help as well: https://guide.pressbooks.com/chapter/copy-paste-tried-and-true/? You’ll also notice a little eraser icon in the WYSIWYG – that can be used to ‘clear formatting’ for elements that you’ve selected. It can be helpful to strip excess gunk that may have been brought in via copy/paste or import from various sources from the visual editor (without having to use the text editor and parse HTML).