Settings for Full Bleed in Pressbooks

Hello! My printer (Lulu) is telling me that they will be adding a white Bleed margin to the PDF file I’ve generated through Pressbooks, making my book .25" larger in both height and width than I want it to be. To avoid this, I need to make my PDF prepared for Full Bleed. How do I do that in PressBooks? Thank you!

Hi @fictionauthor, have you tried adjusting margins (or page size) in theme options? https://guide.pressbooks.com/chapter/new-theme-options/#newpdfthemeoptions

Thank you, SteelWagstaff! I’ve changed the dimensions of my manuscript from 5.5 x 8.5 to 5.25 x 8.25 in the hope that, when Lulu add .25" to height and width, the final product will be 5.5 x 8.5. I noticed that they don’t offer a 5.25 x 8.25 size, so I’m not sure this strategy is going work–and won’t know until I start uploading everything. As far as your suggestion about adjusting the margins, they’re currently set at 2cm. Would I need to add .125" to all four sides to achieve my purposes (to make sure that after Lulu add .25", the book will maintain the 5.5 x 8.5 size I want it to be)? I’m not sure I understand how adjusting the margins will help maintain the book size at 5.5 x 8.5 on Lulu’s end. Thanks for your help!

@fictionauthor, those sound like questions for Lulu, to be honest, since the message about bleed appears to be coming from them, not Pressbooks. I’m sure others here would be interested to find out whatever you learn if you do hear back from them and find a solution that works well for you.

I just generate pdfs according to the size for final output. Lulu adds the bleed margin automatically when you upload the pdf.

1 Like