Seeking clarification on User Roles in PB

Forgive me if this has been asked already or is documented some place obvious I don’t know to look (I did a cursory search and didn’t find anything).

Does the Pressbooks plugin change Wordpress’s user roles and capabilities in any way? If so, do you have a running list of places (in the code) or list of capabilities that are changed?

Thanks,

Bryan

It works in the same way

Not quite the same, @colomet.

A few things:

• Users must have the publish_post capability (e.g. they must be authors or above) to make content visible in web or exports (since 5.0)
  • Editors and above can edit theme options and custom styles (since 4.1, see #863; this capability is usually restricted to administrators)
  • We’ve implemented a “network manager” role, which restricts some network adminstration capabilities (in 2.5.1; see Network Admin → Settings → Network Managers)

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

Is that picture update?

1 Like

Yes, it is up to date.

Thank you so much @ned and @colomet

1 Like

Sorry, also real quick, how’s the “network manager” role different from super admin? It says “Network administrators’ access to network admininistration menus can be restricted to leave only sites and users visible to them” but i’m not really sure how that works (i don’t think we use this option).

Basically the use case was for a user that could access all books and manager users and books at the network level (but not deactivate important plugins/themes etc). Here’s a couple GIFs by way of explanation:

1. Normal network admin:

1. Restricted network admin (network manager):

1 Like