PressBooks and Hostinger

Hello! I am trying to set up PressBooks on Hostinger an I’m having a heck of a time trying to get anything to work correctly. I have the multisite set up, but when I create a new book, nothing actually happens. I end up with an empty file and nothing has been created. For example, I add a test book and everything seems to go well until I go to:

https://test3.communication-oer.com/wp-admin/

At which point, I get a ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR.

Hostinger at one point tried having me install Wordpress on a subdomain (I still don’t understand why), but all that did was create another instance of WordPress and still no books.

Also, on the subject of issues, when I tried to clone a book, I get the dreaded EventStream Connection Error. I’ve tried cloning multiple books from multiple websites and I get this error no matter what.

Okay, I think that’s enough for now.

Just as an FYI, I’m a faculty member tryign to create a PressBooks site to manage OERs for students, so my technical know-how isn’t that great, but I am somewhat above average.

Thanks

Jason

Hi @JasonSWrench,
Setting up your own Pressbooks network on shared hosting can be tricky. Did you follow the instructions here? Installation - Pressbooks

If so, where are you getting stuck? You’ll likely need to provide more context and details if you want anyone from this support forum to be able to help diagnose and solve your issues.

My point of view on this is that running your own Pressbooks network just to publish a single OER as a faculty member is probably overkill. To do this successfully, you’ll need to purchase secure, reliable web hosting, and have enough technical expertise to install WP Multisite, not to mention managing plugins, updates, and basic server maintenance and security tasks yourself. This is not trivial labor, not something that the average faculty member will likely know how to do (or want to do themselves). Speaking from several years of experience with self-hosting, I can say that hosting and maintaining your own Pressbooks network is hard (and usually thankless) work.

Have you considered simply creating a book via https://pressbooks.pub? We have simple subscription plans, and we will continue hosting public, openly-licensed books indefinitely in a read-only state, so you only need the subscription for as long as you intend to be editing your book.