Just Stopped Working

Installed a couple of months ago on my own server and have been using Version: 5.3.7.0
Imported some books, created new content, and everything going fine …

Not sure when I last logged in (probably last week), but today the site just crashed (page won’t load).

I renamed the plugins folder and narrowed it down to Pressbooks. Disabled all other plugins and themes other than McLaren as per recommendations. When I activate Pressbooks, the site immediately becomes unloadable (any page, admin, etc.).

Adding debug, I get this:

Fatal error : Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 292

Fatal error : Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 301

Increased the memory by modifying the config.php file, first to 256, then 512. At 512 I was able to see the front page (the only page outside the subsites, which just has a login link), but blanked out after logging in.

The error messages reflect the increase in allowed memory size, but it always says “(tried to allocate 20480 bytes)”

I also tried installing the latest release of Pressbooks and the result is the same.

Hello, i just was about to post something similar. The local WordPress installation that has Pressbooks installed automatically updated to WordPress 6.1 which was just released 2022-11-01. I tried the usual troubleshooting steps then even asked our IT to increase the RAM available in the VM (Virtual Machine) to double what was originally allocated. Eventually i just had to install and use “wp-cli” to force WordPress to downgrade back to 6.0.3 since the WordPress web admin interface wasn’t accessible. After downgrading WordPress, everything started working again. Unfortunately, that’s obviously not a long-term fix, just a temporary workaround.

hi @Ken_JP_Stuczynski & @metalchink we have not yet tested Pressbooks against the latest WordPress release (6.1.0). It sounds like there are some compatibility issues that will need to be resolved before users update their WordPress version. For now, we recommend sticking with WordPress 6.0.3.

Reverted to WordPress 6.0.3

Everything seems fine but an error on the login page:

Deprecated : Hook login_headertitle isdeprecated since version 5.2.0! Use login_headertext instead. Usage of the title attribute on the login logo is not recommended for accessibility reasons. Use the link text instead. in**/home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-includes/functions.php** on line5756

Hoping this will go away when I can upgrade.

It looks like that’s a WordPress debug error message being displayed.

This PR fixed the WP 6.1 compatibility issue: fix: add compatibility with WordPress 6.1 (resolves #2986) by greatislander · Pull Request #2997 · pressbooks/pressbooks · GitHub. It has been merged to our dev branch but we haven’t yet cut a new release of Pressbooks. Our next release expected later this month will be fully tested for compatibility with WP 6.1 (and will require PHP 8).

Not sure it’s fixed … I’m getting more and more errors all the time. Here are the current ones.
Login page

Deprecated : Hook login_headertitle isdeprecated since version 5.2.0! Use login_headertext instead. Usage of the title attribute on the login logo is not recommended for accessibility reasons. Use the link text instead. in**/home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-includes/functions.php** on line5756

When I go to the dashboard for a book:

Warning : exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 322

Notice : Undefined offset: 0 in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 324

Warning : exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 271

Notice : Undefined offset: 0 in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php on line 273

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php:322) in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-admin/includes/misc.php on line 1381

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php:322) in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-includes/functions.php on line 6880

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-content/plugins/pressbooks/inc/utility/namespace.php:322) in /home/amorphous/pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-admin/admin-header.php on line 9

Hi @Ken_JP_Stuczynski all of the content you posted look like ‘warnings’ or ‘notices’ rather than errors. If this is a production network, you probably want to configure your wp-config.php file so that these warnings are sent to a log file instead of displayed on page load. See Debugging in WordPress – WordPress.org Documentation for details. Here’s the crucial value to set: Debugging in WordPress – WordPress.org Documentation

If you’d like more help from the community, can you please post the contents of your Diagnostics page? The link should be in the footer of all admin pages – in your case, it’s probably https://pressbooks.amorphous.press/wp-admin/options.php?page=pressbooks_diagnostics

For context, the Deprecated : Hook login_headertitle isdeprecated since version 5.2.0! Use login_headertext instead. Usage of the title attribute on the login logo is not recommended for accessibility reasons. Use the link text instead. issue was fixed in Pressbooks 5.9.1 Wordpress 5.2 login page error login_headertitle is depreciated · Issue #181 · pressbooks/pressbooks-aldine · GitHub, which was released in September 2019. My biggest advice for you would be to run more recent versions of Pressbooks and required themes/plugins!

I turned off debug mode, so there’s that.
For the record, I installed Pressbooks version 6.3.0 last year and am currently using that version. I’m glad you fixed whatever the bug was from the original concern.

Thanks.