Importing Word: image ALT

I’m not getting the ALT text from images when I import a Word doc; all I get is alt=“image”. Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Thanks
Wade

Best place for this question is premium support, @obahama

Thank you Steel. (“post must be at least 20 char”) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Were you able to solve this problem? I am running into the same issue.

Thank you!

Rena

No. I was told a Pressbooks version update must’ve broken the import of Alt text, and it would be added to the list of items to fix; but I suspect it didn’t or it got lost.
Wade

Just to bump this issue, I’m still experiencing the same error when importing Word documents into Pressbooks. Hopefully they can find a fix for this soon.

I actually spent a huge amount of time on the issue of correct handling of alt texts for imports – I’d be happy to share the (fairly complex) stuff I learned.
The precise issue I was dealing with was getting documents from Google docs to PB, via exporting GD->Word, and importing Word->PB. That was a mess (particularly with alt texts), so I developed a whole other approach.
I should give a presentation about this somewhere, I think lots of people are interested in these kinds of issues…

2 Likes

Thanks, @poritzj! I’m interested–we’re running into a similar issue, losing all the alt text going from manifold->GD->Word->PB. If you have a solution, I’d like to hear more!

We need to talk, then – there’s a lot to say about this!
(In my case, I ended up skipping the step of going through Word, it was definitely a net negative. Instead, I export from GD to HTML files and use some code I wrote to process the HTML and then upload it to PB. All the software I wrote is openly licensed, of course!)
Contact me, I’d be very happy to discuss this with you! I don’t think I should put my email address in this forum… but my contact info is on my web page Jonathan Poritz Home Page .

1 Like