How to use dollar signs ($)?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working with text that involves the use of dollar signs ($) in its syntax. However, the dollar signs seem to behave unexpectedly and mess up the formatting. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, how did you successfully handle the dollar signs?

I’ve tried escaping the dollar signs with backticks, but it doesn’t seem to resolve the problem and it treats it as a code block. Could there be a specific formatting rule or technique that I’m missing? Any insights or examples on how to properly use dollar signs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

hi @luke can you give us an example URL where you’re seeing strange behaviour with the dollar sign so we can see what specifically is happening? I’m able to use dollar signs normally in the standard Pressbooks installation we use for testing and demos.

I’m not sure that this is what you’re running into, but I suspect what might be happening is related to the $ delimiter and its special usage in LaTeX (it’s a reserved character so you may need to use \$). Are you using MathJax or WP QuickLaTeX in your book? If so, do you know what delimiter settings you have enabled or disabled?