Formatting CSS & Dedication

Hi All,

So I am almost finished my book, just need to get the formatting of the dedication page figured out. The “dedication” front matter type places the dedication where I need it, just before the contents, but it changes the formatting completely to italicized text with huge margins, and makes my dedication spill on to the next page. I have tried every other front matter type and exported it, some of them fix the formatting, but move the section to after the contents, which is not where I want it.

I have reached out to pressbooks and they said to customize the CSS, which I totally would do but I have no idea where to find this file! Can anyone help me or provide some insight here? Or please let me know how I can edit the CSS?

Please let me know, my city library has not renewed their pressbooks subscription so I have 10 days to figure this out.

Thanks so much in advance!

see:

and:

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_howto.asp

Hi Hugh, and thank you for your reply.

I live in Santa Monica and I am planning to publish through the SMPL website (public library). Unfortunately Santa Monica Library did not renew their subscription to pressbooks so I have 8 days to figure this out.

The links you sent pertain to the cover generator and do not really discuss the dedication formatting issue I mentioned in my post. On top of that, I do not know HTML or CSS, so the w3 school link was just confusing for me. I have tried EVERY front matter type in hopes that just ONE of the options would place the section before the table of contents, with the same format as the rest of the chapters, but it did not work out. Every single front matter type other than Epigraph and Dedication either places the dedication section after the contents, or at the beginning of the book before even the title page. Epigraph and Dedication front matter types place the section in the correct spot, but completely change the format to have italicized text with HUGE top and side margins. These margins cause my dedication to spill onto another page which simply looks awful.

Please I am so frustrated with trying to fix this one final problem for weeks. If there is anything you can do to help it would relieve me an enormous amount of stress, pressure, and anxiety due to the short amount of time I have until Santa Monica’s subscription is up.

I have contacted pressbooks directly and they simply said to edit the CSS custom style. I cannot figure out how to do that.

Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

-Dean

Not knowing which theme you are using I give you the custom css for the McLuhan theme. You might have to change the values for font-family, font-size and line-height to match the styling of the “normal” chapter text of your theme. You find the values in the window above the customs css input window. This assumes that you assign the front matter chapter type “Dedication”.

div.dedication p {
margin-bottom: 0em;
font-family: ‘Lora’;
font-size: 9pt;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
line-height: 1.5555555556em;
text-align: justify;
hyphens: auto;
}

.front-matter-title-wrap h1,
.front-matter-title-wrap h3 {
font-family: ‘Lora’;
}

div.dedication {
margin-top: 0cm;
margin-right: 0%;
margin-left: 0%;
}

@t.dumm beat me to it, but here is the better link:
https://pressbookshelpdesk.groovehq.com/help/customizing-your-books-css-1

Hi t.dumm,

I am using the theme Jacobs. Would it be the same for this?

Give it a try and let me know.