Custom styles not working for .mobi

Hello. I’ve added custom CSS to override what’s in the theme (Austen theme - https://pressbooks.com/themes/austenclassic) but it still seems to be overridden by something else.

But besides the fact that my custom styles aren’t showing up (when viewing the .mobi on the Kindle Previewer software), I’m finding it very difficult to SEE what styles to target. Some advice seems to say “export the XHTML and view that to know what styles” but the XHTML seems to be the Web view and doesn’t have the indents on paragraphs that the .mobi does. So looking at the CSS in the XHTML page isn’t helping me.

I finally tried the Calibre viewer and was able to look at the .mobi and “inspect” the paragraphs and CSS code, which points to a 0001.CSS file. My customizations are there at the end, BUT then there’s another few lines added afterward that negate my styles.

Any idea what could be inserting more styles AFTER my customizations? Are there any tools to edit .mobi file code after it has been exported?

My only goal at this moment is to increase the indent from “text-indent: 1em” to 3em. It frustrating that I’ve spent over 8 hours on ONE ridiculous, easy, small change and made ZERO headway.

I don’t know whether it matters that I’m using PressBooks via a company called AuthorLab.

Sounds like you should talk to AuthorLab first. If that’s not meeting your needs, perhaps you’d want to try our Pressbooks.com offering for sulf-published authors?