Cloning feature - Roles / License question

One question. In order to be able to clone a book, the book must be with a Creative Commons license. Which I believe is the best idea, as in that way the writer of the book allow or not to copy and paste.

But what about cloning inside of a network. Do the SuperAdministrator will be able to clone a book inside of a PB installation no matter the license? or instead the Super Admin the original author have the power of to clone a book no matter the license?

In my situation, as I’m the administrator/editor of the books, to not be able to clone the book if the book have a private license, will make slow the cloning process.

Yes, we will be allowing Network Admins to override the license check for books within their own network.

1 Like

Can the book author, book admin, super admin disable the cloning of the book.

In case the book author wants to content not to be cloned or misused. Can he protect the content from cloning.

Hi John,
cloning can be “disabled” by setting the book license to either “All rights reserved” or a CC license that does not allow derivatives.

thank you @jcguan

com .

Hi there! As a network admin is it possible to block users in our own network from creating new books by cloning?

We have permissions turned off for creating new books, but there is an interesting work around where you can still clone books to the network.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Michelle,

Pressbooks 5.8.3, released earlier this month, included a fix that removed ‘clone a book’ as an option for regular network users when the network registration setting would also prohibit them from creating new books. You can check to see what version of Pressbooks you’re running by clicking the diagnostics link in your admin dashboard.

09%20PM.

If you’re running a version later than 5.8.3, hopefully the issue should be fixed for you. If not, let us know?

Thanks Steel,

We realized this issue last Wed and upgraded to 5.9 on Friday so hopefully it resolved itself with the upgrade!

Best wishes,
Michelle

1 Like

Michelle–sounds good. And welcome to our open source users forum!