Accessibility of H5P embedded in Pressbook

We’ve created a number of H5P activities within Pressbooks and embedded them in a Pressbook using the [h5p id=“xx”] provided. The majority of the H5P activities themselves are described as being “accessible.” However, at least when using a basic/free screen reader tool, the screen reader jumps right over all of the content that is part of the embedded H5P.

I’m assuming this has something to do with the way in which H5P is embedded but wanted to check if there’s something else I should be doing to provide access to accessible H5P especially for students using screen reader technology. For example, should there be a link to the activity hosted somewhere else that is within the text?? I haven’t tested the book with more sophisticated tools like Jaws, so if this does not happen when using a better paid tool, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi @Megan_Dempsey great question. When an H5P activity is embedded within Pressbooks using a shortcode, the activity itself is placed within an iframe, which allows the activity to load the custom CSS and javascript needed for the activity’s styling and state changes upon interaction. Nearly all screenreaders should allow an experienced user to recognize that an iframe is embedded in the page and enter into the iframe and explore the contents in an accessible way. As long as the iframe has a title attribute (H5P activities do this well) and the contents of the iframe are accessible (this can depend on the content type and the choices made by the person who created the activity), users of assistive technology should be to access it.